DDI: 03 943 0584 • Email Erin
Erin is an award-winning communications practitioner with specialist expertise in stakeholder engagement, crisis management, media relations, strategic communications, brand marketing and social media.
She began her career in Australia working with some of the world’s leading brands, before moving to New Zealand with her Kiwi husband to raise their family. She established Convergence Communications & Marketing with Leigh Harris in 2001.
Erin is known for bringing a creative approach to communications, along with sound experience in strategic planning. She is tertiary qualified in both marketing communications, and business management. She recently completed further study and was awarded a Certificate of Scholarly Excellence from Massey University for being one of their top extramural students. She is a Fellow of the Public Relations Institute of New Zealand.
An expert issues manager, Erin worked for both the West Coast DHB (immediately after the Pike River Coal mine disaster) and Pike River Coal, assisting both organisations across a very difficult time with strategic communications and media relations advice.
A career highlight for Erin was being part of a team that won the PRINZ (Public Relations Institute of NZ) award for the campaign Reducing the impact of Swine Flu in Canterbury. Erin has managed other public communications and engagement strategies including the Meningococcal B vaccination programme in Canterbury, as well as the Vote Fluoride campaign – a joint project with the Otago and Southland District Health Boards.
Erin also advises clients in the social and digital media arena, an aspect of communications she enjoys and an area in which she has a high level of expertise. With leading content creation company, Tandem Studios (of which Erin is a part owner), she established On The Land – the first national digital farming show in New Zealand. The programme is played 24/7 across multimedia channels, including television and social media, targeting a rural audience.
Erin firmly believes in the power of communities, the grass roots dissemination of information and the need for listening – all of which are the essence of good communications.
Outside of work Erin likes to travel, keep fit, spend time with her family and walk her rambunctious fox terrier, Miss Squeaky, in the Port Hills.
Qualifications and Achievements
- Post Graduate Diploma in Business Administration, Massey University, New Zealand (2015)
- Awarded Certificate of Excellence from Massey University for scholarly excellence as one of the top students in Political Communication (Distance Learning – 2015)
- Bachelor of Arts in Communications (double major in Marketing and Public Relations), University of Canberra, Australia
- Winner, inaugural Crystal Clear Literacy Award for Stopping Swine Flu in Canterbury, 2010 PRINZ Awards
- Highly commended, 2010 PRINZ Awards – government or quasi-government category
- Trustee – Court Theatre Trust
- Director – Tandem Studios
- FPRINZ (Fellow, Public Relations Institute of NZ)
- Previous governance roles: Gardens Event Trust – Christchurch City Council, Aoraki Polytechnic Media Advisory Panel, Banks Peninsula District Tourism and Economic Development Board
- Completed the Directors course run by the New Zealand Institute of Directors