DDI: 03 943 0581 • M: 022 092 2573 • Email Katie
Katie has nearly a decade of experience in communications, successive to her earlier career as a journalist in New Zealand and abroad.
She has expertise in a wide range of public relations and corporate communications work, namely stakeholder engagement, strategy development, media relations and issues management across the public and private sectors.
A particular strength is working with clients in the health and rural sectors, with an innate knowledge of each industry and their associated regulatory challenges.
During her time as a print journalist Katie worked for national and international publications, specialising in local government, breaking news and business reporting.
A scholarship obtained through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, in conjunction with the Asia New Zealand Foundation, led to a posting at the highly regarded Tempo Magazine in Jakarta – Indonesia’s version of Time Magazine. This saw Katie reporting on issues such as corruption, human rights and religious confrontation.
During a two-year stint in the United Kingdom and Europe, Katie worked for leading online news agency Adfero in London. Based in its business-to-business division, her role involved producing tailored media content for prominent financial, government and not-for-profit organisations.
Prior to joining Convergence Katie managed communications for Ronald McDonald House in Christchurch, one of the South Island’s largest not-for-profit organisations. During this time she was responsible for the organisation’s media relations, issues management, stakeholder engagement and community relations.
Outside of work Katie likes to head outdoors with her two young daughters and husband. Mountain biking, skiing, camping and boating are common events on the family calendar.
Qualifications and Achievements
- Committee member, Public Relations Institute of New Zealand – Southern Division
- Postgraduate Diploma in Journalism, University of Canterbury – highest marks overall for general news and local government reporting
- Bachelor of Arts in Communications and Political Science, University of Canterbury
- Member, Golden Key International Honour Society (in recognition of being within the top 15% of undergraduates at the University of Canterbury)
- Recipient of a South East Asia Media Scholarship via the Asia New Zealand Foundation and Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (four-week media placement in Indonesia)